Sunday, February 14, 2010

4. doing everything i can

pbm seems like a bold decision to some. several times i have had people tell me to just change my lifestyle and adapt a healthier eating pattern to prevent getting cancer.

um...yeah...i did that already. i think often the choice of choosing a pbm is coupled with an awareness of other triggers that could cause breast cancer and this awareness not only causes many to choose pbm, but to also change our lifestyles.

so in addition to pbm...in the last year and a half i have become a vegetarian...trying to stay closer to the side of veganism and high raw diet in addition to choosing organic and fair trade products as much as possible. i try to avoid foods that may be a potential trigger as well like soy. i also try to keep an eye on, and avoid environmental triggers. this includes not using plastics as much as possible, avoiding bpa's. avoiding beauthy care and cosmetic products that contain harmful ingredients that can trigger reactions in the body to manufacture higher estrogens...which can lead to breast cancer.

i do admit that i need to get myself more physically active...and this is my pbm resolution. i think i would like to get more active by cycling, running, swimming, and walking. hiking will definitely be on the list as this is something i like to do anyways when the weather is warmer. i might even join a gym.

i thought of the contents of this post while making a smoothie i just concocted last night that i am totally nuts about! i have a few others i enjoy as well. i will share two of my recipes below. these are my own creations, so please use them, but don't steal them with out giving credit. you can share by linking back to my post.

Chocolate Berry-Delicious Smoothie (1 serving)

1 - C Chocolate Almond Milk (I love Blue Diamond Growers Almond Breeze in Chocolate)

1 - C Mixed Frozen Berries (I use a combination of blackberries, blueberries and raspberries)

3 Tbsp - Protein Powder (I swear by Nutiva Hemp Shake Protein Drink Mix in Chocolate)

1/4 C Oasis Health Break Antioxia Pomegranate Juice

Blend in a blender till smooth, serve, and enjoy!
(Since this one is so new I will be experimenting with it. I will try adding a banana...maybe some peanut butter. I will try to see if I can camouflage some spinach or kale into it as well.)



Zingy Fruit Action Packed Smoothie (1-2 servings)

3/4 C Orange Juice

1/4 C Sweetener (I use Oasis Health Break Antioxia Pomegranate Juice but you can use honey or gasp...a tsp. of sugar or other sweetener.)

1/2 C of Yogurt (I won't use anything but Vanilla flavoured Danone Activia)

1 C Mixed Frozen Berries (Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, and Blueberries)

1 Banana

1 Hand full of Spinach (You won't even notice it! I promise!)

1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed (I use Omega Nutrition Cold Milled Flax Seed)

1 Tbsp Vegetable Powder (I use Progressive VegeGreens)

Layer wet ingredients first, then fruit and spinach, and powders on top. Blend in a blender till smooth, serve, and enjoy!

Do you have any great smootie recipes to share? Please feel to comment!

1 comment:

  1. I love making smoothies too! But I'm afraid mine are not as sophisticated as yours. I'm also experimenting, which usually means just improvising with whatever I feel like that day. The ordinary, everyday smoothie I like to make is just 1) soy milk (whatever flavor ya want) 2) frozen banana 3) frozen OJ concentrate 4) 4 tbsp nutritional yeast (for 2 servings) 5) chopped, fresh fruit of your choice, such as mango, apple, orange, banana, etc. 6) water to get the right consistency. I don't even measure these things -- I just throw in however much I feel like & blend it 'til it looks like the consistency I want. Between the soy milk & yeast, we get all the B12 we need for the whole day (we're vegans), PLUS almost all the fruit servings we need for the day. Smoothies are just great ways to get in your nutrients, provided you include all the fiber that are in whole foods. They will be a permanent part of my diet for sure, especially when I'm old with no teeth and have to drink my food. ;)

    ReplyDelete